In case you haven't seen this one --you can add your name in support of a Debate on Science thru the ResearchAmerica web site below.

Also see "WHere Do the Candidates Stand" on health issues at:
http://www.yourcandidatesyourhealth.org/index.php
for detailed questionairre on health care issues and policies. Clinton and Obama have amswered these questions. So far McCain and Huckabee have not

---------- Forwarded Message from Parkinson's Action Network ----------

Science Debate 2008More Info
Help Make Parkinson's Disease an Issue Research!America, of which the Parkinson’s Action Network is a member, recently endorsed Science Debate 2008 and is calling for a presidential candidate debate focused on health, science, technology, and environmental policy. PAN strongly supports this debate on science and we urge the candidates to share their views on research, innovation, and improving health care, including hastening discovery of better treatments and a cure for Parkinson’s disease.
You can make a difference by telling the presidential candidates to participate in the only debate focused, in part, on biomedical research. For more information about Science Debate 2008, please read the statement below.
 <?xml:namespace prefix = o />
Today, Research!America endorsed Science Debate 2008, joining the call for a presidential debate on health, science, technology and environmental policy. Our statement is available below, on http://www.researchamerica.org/ or at www.sciencedebate2008.com/www/index.php?id=24.

Help make research a priority in the election by adding your support for this important initiative and urging the presidential candidates to commit to participating in the debate. Contact invited candidates Hillary Clinton, Mike Huckabee, John McCain, and Barack Obama today!
Research!America Backs Call for Presidential Debate on Science
WASHINGTON--Feb. 20, 2008--Research!America has signed on to Science Debate 2008, an initiative calling for a public debate in which the U.S. presidential candidates share their views on health, science, technology and environmental policy. The initiative is cosponsored by the American Association for the Advancement of Science and supported by a growing number of concerned scientists, journalists, government leaders, and more than 100 universities and other organizations. For a list of supporters, visit www.sciencedebate2008.com.
"Research!America supports Science Debate 2008 and the call to put health and scientific research on the agenda of the candidates for the presidency," said Research!America's chair, The Honorable John Edward Porter, the former Illinois Congressman. "A date of April 18 has been set for the debate, just before the Pennsylvania primary, but as yet no candidates have agreed to participate. We urge others to join us in calling on the candidates to take part in this crucial debate on no less than the future of our nation.
"Health and scientific research saves lives, finds ways to control health care costs, fuels our economic growth and ensures that the U.S. will continue to lead in scientific breakthroughs. Yet, federal research spending has seen real decreases five years in a row-and the president's latest budget proposal would make it six.
"As much as medical research has accomplished, we don't want to provide the same health care next year that we have today," he added. "The only way it will get better is to make it smarter. The only way to make it smarter is by putting research to work at the full level of scientific opportunity. The American public deserves no less."
According to a recent poll commissioned by Research!America, 82% of Americans are more likely to vote for a presidential candidate who supports increased federal funding for research to improve health. Similarly, 79% say the U.S. is losing its global competitive edge in science, technology and innovation.
Research!America is the nation's largest not-for-profit public education and advocacy alliance working to make research to improve health a higher national priority. Founded in 1989, Research!America is supported by more than 500 member organizations that represent the voices of 125 million Americans. Visit www.researchamerica.org.

  If you no longer wish to receive e-mail from us, please click here.