I just found the latest University Affairs magazine in my mailbox today,
and look!  There's an article about writing instruction at universities!

http://www.universityaffairs.ca/issues/2008/april/opinion_01.html

So... who among us is going to write in a letter to the editor and
inform the readers of University Affairs that there ARE experts in
written composition at Canadian universities, that writing instruction
is not just a job for TAs, and that "understanding how [language] works
psychologically" is a part of the interdisciplinary field of rhetorical
studies?

--
Tania Smith
Assistant Professor