Michael J. Ryan writing.

I share the opinion of Robert Irish.  I find the article internally
inconsistent and unconnected to the international context of which it
writes.  In this modern age, most International Scholars arrive on a
Canadian campus having been trained [or subjected] to native speakers as
their EFL resources.  That is what fifty of are now doing here in Wuxi,
Jiangsu, China.  However, if the issue is that PhDs provide poor writing
support then there is no worry, as none of us are PhDs.   80 ]
I had thought the article would legitimize the emphasis on training PhDs, as
this is the point of leverage for the writing by the next generation of
tertiary students.  Oh well.  Perhaps a distinction between the direct
guidance of a graduate student and the necessarily templated approach to
initiation into writing courses would explain the difference in approaches,
rather then a blind willingness on the part of universities to provide
assistance to those least in need of that assistance.  I really did not
follow the article.  I am not sure the trail was clear enough.  Perhaps it
was argumentative in form, rather then demonstrative.  All is in the eye and
hand of the beholders.

I would suggest a unified response by co-authors.  If UA will not "publish"
for some time, then perhaps it could be at Inkshed in Fredricton?

Many thanks for the link to the article, as there is no such
scholarly/administrative publication in China.

Michael J. Ryan,
Jiangnan University - Lambton College
Wuxi, Jiangsu, China

BTB:  The uni here seems to require four writing courses of most students.
These are  Academic Writing and Business Writing at both an introductory and
advanced level.

--
Michael J. Ryan, Professor
Business Communication