Wilson
<http://www.ohiovalleypolitics.com/2008/02/29/wils
on-wants-to-eliminate-social-security-waiting-peri
od/>  Wants To Eliminate Social Security Waiting
Period

Posted by David on Feb 29th, 2008

Congressman Charlie Wilson introduced a bill in
the House yesterday that aims to eliminate a 5
month waiting period in the Social Security
Disability program for people who are terminally
ill. The bill is similar to legislation introduced
in the Senate by Sherrod Brown last year.

I've included the entire press release after the
break, but if you don't read it I want to make
sure you see the following paragraph. It really
drives home the need for this.

Ohioans have died waiting for these benefits.
Arthur Woolweaver of Cuyahoga Falls died of cancer
before receiving his disability payments. When he
was diagnosed he was told he must wait the five
months before being able to collect the $1800 per
month to which he was entitled. He died before he
ever received his first check. Now his widow is
unable to collect his benefits.

Wilson Introduces the "Social Security Fairness
for the Terminally Ill Act of 2008"

Washington, D.C. - U.S. Congressman Charlie Wilson
(OH-6) today introduced legislation in the U.S.
House of Representatives to eliminate the required
five-month waiting period in the Social Security
Disability (SSD) program for terminally ill
patients. The bill is the companion to legislation
introduced last fall by Senator Sherrod Brown in
the U.S. Senate.

"It is unreasonable, even unethical that people
who are dying and who have been approved for SSD
still have to wait five months to receive their
benefits," Wilson said.

The current system stems from a law put into place
to verify that the SSD recipients truly will not
work again.

"I am a fiscally conservative Blue Dog and on its
face such a law might seem like a good way to
check for fraud. But, it doesn't make sense to
penalize the terminally ill. They should be able
to receive their benefits immediately," Wilson
added.

Ohioans have died waiting for these benefits.
Arthur Woolweaver of Cuyahoga Falls died of cancer
before receiving his disability payments. When he
was diagnosed he was told he must wait the five
months before being able to collect the $1800 per
month to which he was entitled. He died before he
ever received his first check. Now his widow is
unable to collect his benefits.

"Many people have been hurt by this system,"
Wilson said. "I am proud of this legislation,
which will waive this waiting period and ease the
financial burden associated with terminal illness
by allowing patients with life expectancies of six
months or less to begin collecting Social Security
Disability payments earlier."

Leave a Comment