I don't have it, but when I looked it up, I found this written by my
neurologist.
Have you tried botox....maybe you might be one that it works for?
Sorry...it's the pits!
Nina
"Circumstances determine our lives, but we shape our lives by what we
make of our circumstances."

Camptocormia
Pathogenesis, classification, and response to therapy
Shaheda N. Azher, MD and Joseph Jankovic, MD

 From Parkinson’s Disease Center and Movement Disorders Clinic,
Department of Neurology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX.

Address correspondence and reprint requests to Dr. Joseph Jankovic,
Professor of Neurology, Director of Parkinson’s Disease Center and
Movement Disorders Clinic, Department of Neurology, Baylor College of
Medicine, 6550 Fannin, Suite 1801, Houston, TX 77030; e-mail: [log in to unmask]

Originally considered a psychogenic disorder, camptocormia, an
abnormal posture with marked flexion of thoracolumbar spine that
abates in the recumbent position, is becoming an increasingly
recognized feature of parkinsonian and dystonic disorders. Prior
reports were limited by sample size, short follow-up, and paucity of
data on response to therapy. The authors reviewed 16 patients
evaluated in their PD Center and Movement Disorders Clinic diagnosed
with camptocormia. In addition to detailed neurologic assessment all
patients were videotaped. The mean age was 64.9 ± 17.4 years, mean age
at onset of neurologic symptoms was 51.5 ± 19.9 years, duration from
onset of neurologic symptoms to development of camptocormia was 6.7 ±
7.6 years, and the mean duration of camptocormia was 4.5 ± 3.9 years.
Of the 16 patients, 11 (68.8%) had Parkinson disease (PD); others had
dystonia (n = 4) and Tourette syndrome (n = 1). Twelve patients
received levodopa, with minimal or no improvement in the camptocormia.
Nine patients received botulinum toxin type A injections into the
rectus abdominus, with notable improvement in their camptocormia in
four. One patient underwent bilateral subthalamic nucleus deep brain
stimulation for PD, but there was no improvement in camptocormia.
Based on this series and a thorough review of the literature of
camptocormia, head drop, and bent spine syndrome, the authors propose
etiologic classification of camptocormia and conclude that this
heterogeneous disorder has multiple etiologies and variable response
to systemic and local therapies.

Additional material related to this article can be found on the
Neurology Web site. Go to www.neurology.org and scroll down the Table
of Contents for the August 9 issue to find the title link for this
article.

Disclosure: The authors report no conflicts of interest.

Received November 20, 2004. Accepted in final form April 18, 2005.