Blood Stem Cells Originate in the Placenta
Finding may help scientists recreate this microenvironment for disease
treatments
Posted 3/7/08

FRIDAY, March 7 (HealthDay News) -- Blood stem cells, which later
differentiate into all types of blood cells, originate and are nurtured in
the placenta, a U.S. study finds.
This finding may help researchers replicate the specific embryonic
microenvironment necessary to grow blood stem cells in the lab so doctors
can treat patients with diseases such as leukemia and aplastic anemia, said
senior author Dr. Hanna Mikkola, a researcher in the Eli and Edythe Broad
Center of Regenerative Medicine and Stem Cell Research at the University of
California, Los Angeles (UCLA).
"It was a big mystery, where these cells originated. This is the first time
we can really say definitively that blood stem cells are generated in the
placenta. There's no more speculation," Mikkola said in a prepared
statement.
The discovery, reported in the March 6 issue of Cell Stem Cell, was made in
research with mice. The researchers are now working to replicate it in
humans.
"If we want to fully harness the potential of embryonic stem cells to treat
disease, it's critical for us to learn how to make tissue-specific stem
cells. We can learn that by studying what happens during embryonic
development," said Mikkola, an assistant professor of molecular, cell and
developmental biology and a researcher at UCLA's Jonsson Comprehensive
Cancer Center.
In previous research, Mikkola and her colleagues found the placenta
contained a large supply of stem cells, but the researchers weren't sure if
these stem cells were created in the placenta or originated elsewhere and
migrated to the placenta to self-renew.
In this new study, Mikkola's team examined a unique mouse model, a mouse
embryo without a heartbeat. Because there was no blood circulation, the
researchers were able to find the blood stem cells at their point of origin
in the placenta.
"Using this model, we identified that the placenta has the potential to make
hematopoietic [blood] stem cells with full differentiation ability to create
all the major lineages of blood cells. The placenta acts as a sort of
kindergarten for these newly made blood stem cells, giving them the first
education they need," Mikkola explained.

The National Institutes of Health has more about stem cells.
Copyright © 2008 ScoutNews, LLC. All rights reserved.

Rayilyn Brown
Board Member AZNPF
Arizona Chapter National Parkinson's Foundation