Hullo,

I have just joined this group.  I found it by googling for support for
Parkinson's patients and caregivers since the city in which we live,
Calcutta, India, has no support groups.

My husband was diagnosed with PD in August 2001, though I think he probably
had it for about 18 months before that.  Now his doctor says he is in the
third stage of the illness.  Apart from his motor problems, what has been
quite distressing of late is the psychosis that is bedevilling him -
hallucinations, delusions and confusion.   He is on

   - Syndopa 275 (levodopa 250 mg+carbidopa IP 25 mg), 3 tablets a day
   - Pramipex 1 (pramipexole dihydrochloride monohydrate 1 mg), 3 tablets
   a day
   - Qutan 50 (quetiapine fumarate equivalent to quetiapine 50 mg), 2
   tablets a day
   - Mirtaz 7.5 (mirtazapine), 1 tablet a day
   - Modalert 200, 1 tablet a day

I cannot help feeling that he is on too much medication.  The Syndopa dosage
has remained unchanged since the middle of 2006.  The strength of Pramipex
was increased from 0.75mg  to 1 mg at the end of December.  Subsequently the
doctor added Mirtaz 7.5 and increased Qutan from 75 mg to 100 mg at the end
of January. Hallucinations first made their appearance about a year ago and
the dreams have become even more vivid and real.  He had the first, quite
disturbing, episode of confusion (about whether our house is an office in
another city) in June.  After this there were one or two other similar
episodes.  However now hallucinations, dreams and delusions are an almost
daily occurrence and the onset has been quite rapid in the last 4-5 weeks.
The nights are particularly bad, giving him no rest.  Today we have an
appointment with a psychiatrist, at the suggestion of his neurologist, but I
am concerned that he might just add more medication.

I would appreciate advice on this.
Thank you.
Moneesha