This was certainly the case with my husband.  Some years previous to his
diagnosis of PD, we were surprised to find that he was gradually losing his
sense of smell.  We put it down to the fact that he had been a smoker in his
younger days.  I found out about the link between PD and a loss of the sense
of smell when I was searching the net for symptoms of PD before we actually
went to the doctor.  He had all the initial symptoms including a loss of the
sense of smell.
Moneesha Sharma