I've heard from UA, and I'm going to get back to the editor and make the
case that our piece should be June/July's Opinion Piece rather than a
letter. I'll send the whole thing with it.  (I intend to deal with
Graham's suggestions too, as long as I can keep from increasing the
length.

I'll let you know what transpires.

I wonder who from UVic has written -- perhaps someone who doesn't
subscribe to CASLL, or someone who disagrees with the tack we've taken,
or someone who simply wanted to get in promptly.

Susan Drain, PhD
Department of English
Mount Saint Vincent University
Halifax, NS Canada  B3M 2J6
902 457 6220

>>> "Peggy Berkowitz" <[log in to unmask]> 4/1/2008 12:31 PM >>>
Hello Susan Drain,
Thank you for your e-mail. I'd already heard from the Dean's Blog that
this piece was fomenting a lot of opposition. We received a letter from
a staff member at University of Victoria who also teaches writing; it
was published in the May issue which went to press last week.
 We would welcome a letter from you for the June-July issue, and we'd
need your letter by mid-May. (By next fall, we will have a website that
accommodates comments on articles, so people won't have to wait this
long to see their feedback published!) The stated maximum for letters is
450 words, although on occasion I've run letters as long as 750 words; I
think 1,000 words (almost as long as the original piece) is too long for
a letter, so if you're able to trim it before sending, so much the
better.
One other thing: the other writer missed the point that Sunny Marche
was referring to the practice (which he said occurs at Dalhousie) of
teaching writing "through the curriculum", in other words, teachers of
all disciplines -- from math to science to English -- required to teach
writing in their classes.
I look forward to your letter,

Peggy Berkowitz
Editor, University Affairs/Affaires universitaires
www.universityaffairs.ca
Association of Universities and Colleges of Canada/ L'Association des
universités et collèges du Canada
(613) 563-3961 ext. 228

---

This communication, including any attached documentation, is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed, and may contain confidential, personal, and/or privileged information. Any unauthorized disclosure, copying, or taking action on the contents is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please contact us immediately so we may correct our records.
Please then delete or destroy the original transmission and any subsequent reply.
Thank you.