Tania and all,

Thanks, Tania, that's a great resource for conversations on "rhetoric."  In particular, I really liked the piece by Jennifer MacLennan, "The Scope and Nature of Rhetoric."

I can add two items to complement those on your web page:

One is remarkable cataloguing of meanings associated with the term "rhetoric":  a table labeled "Definitions of Rhetoric," put together by David Beard (Rhetoric, Scientific and Technical Communication - Department of Composition - University of Minnesota-Duluth).  I'll have to send David's table in a second e-mail, since copying it into this message makes the message too long to make it through to the CASLL listserv (I've tried).

By way of according due credit, when I asked David, in an e-mail, about sharing the piece with colleagues and about proper credit, he replied: "I compiled them from the lists provided by Ed Schiappa, David Gore, and Cesar Ornatowski, I think.  So you should probably cite them, I guess, at best compiled by me, with a James Berlin definition and a Krista Ratcliffe definition as my humble contribution. -- David."

The second item is another remarkable text produced by James Kinney of the University of Arizona, "Book of Quotations on Rhetoric," and available on
his website. Here's a link to the text: www.u.arizona.edu/~tkinney/pdf/handouts/definitions.pdf

Hope this is helpful,
Graham

------------------------------------