There are studies of Hildegard of Bingen's visions, based on the theory
that she suffered from migraine and that it was a factor in how she
perceived them -- see Barbara Newman, “Introduction”, Hildegard of
Bingen: Scivias, trans. Mother Columba Hart and Jane Bishop (New York:
Paulist Press, 1990) 11-12, citing Charles Singer, “The Scientific Views
and Visions of St Hildegard”, Studies in the History and Method of
Science 1 (Oxford, 1917) 1-55 and Oliver Sacks, Migraine: Understanding
a Common Disorder (Berkeley: University of California Press, 1985) 106-8.

Abigail

--
Abigail Ann Young (Dr), Associate Editor/ Records of Early English Drama/
Victoria College/ 150 Charles Street W/ Toronto Ontario Canada