Dear Jennifer,
   Many fairly technical studies in neuroscience & psychopharmacology offer explanations of
ecstatic states, the effects of serotonin on perception, & similar matters.
You might also find Marcus Boon, The Road of Excess: A History of Writers on Drugs
(Cambridge, MA: Harvard UP, 2002)
to be of some use.  Best of luck!
Michael Winkelman
Assistant Professor of Renaissance English Literature
Johnson State College, Vermont

http://www.windowslive.com/messenger/overview.html?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_Refresh_messenger_05200