Medieval English Theatre.
Medieval English Theatre can now accept payment by credit card via
PayPal.  This should make it easier for overseas subscribers without a
sterling bank account in the UK.  They should be warned however that
this comes slightly more expensive than the usual subscription price, to
cover transfer fees.  Go to the new METh mirror website
<http://www.medievalenglishtheatre.co.uk>, and follow the link to
'Subs&Sales'.  Back numbers and occasional publications are also
available, where still in print, through the website.
Medieval English Theatre is a non-profit-making association, and we
deliver the journal to our subscribers at as near to cost price as
possible. The recent rises in postage rates have meant that we must now
operate a tripartite scale on p&p:   UK, Europe, and the Rest of the
World  (OS for short).
The latest volume of METh, no 28, is a vintage one.  It contains a
paradigm-shifting article by Gordon Kipling on Gustave Cohen's
early-twentieth-century construction of a 'medieval' theatrical figure,
the so-called meneur de jeu,  which has become part of theatre-history
mythology; Louis Peter Grijp contributes some fascinating and detailed
research on the mid-seventeenth-century Amsterdam theatre, where male
and female actors played women's roles apparently side by side;  James
McBain investigates the sources in classical oratorical training of many
of the topics on true nobility displayed in the debate in Fulgens and
Lucres; and Priscilla Bawcutt draws our attention to a very early
sighting of the word morality as a theatrical term in English.
The next issue of the journal, no 29, will be a Festschrift in honour of
David Mills.
Meg Twycross