-

Hello, I am a new member from Sydney Australia. I only found out about the site from the book "When Parkinson's Strikes Early".

I was diagnosed in 2002 at age 35. My husband and I have 2 children. In 2006 I had deep brain stimulation surgery but it was unsuccessful and I suffered a stroke on the left side of my body.

I have changed neurologists again and have finally found someone who wants to reduce my medication! I actually feel better with fewer side effects and sleep better.
He told me about "dopamine dysregulation syndrome" which I had not heard of before.

I have been undergoing rehab and started with a personal trainer at the gym last February to strengthen the muscles on my left side of the body. I think the weight training has helped and the reduction in medication has almost eliminated my dyskinesias. I joined the gym after my diagnosis and attend Pilates classes regularly which help me to maintain my muscle flexibility and reduce stiffness (lots of stretches and can be adapted for different fitness levels).

I still have limited use of my left hand but I can walk independently and  can drive with a spinner-knob.

I have gone through severe depression and a lot of personal trauma but I have been blessed with a loving family a great Parkinson's support group, supportive church community , some very supportive health professionals and a great driving instructor who have got me through the really dark times.

 So remember, never lose hope, there are lots of wonderful people out there who will help you - you just have to let them.

I am always surprised at the kindness of complete strangers. There is a lot of travelling and a lot of things to be done so I want to do as much as I can while I can.  For those young-onset people who don't attend support group meetings - you should give it a go. They are really great and you can provide support to someone else too.

Thanks for letting me join your community.

Sandra Way