While it is true we have not stopped the war and people are still dying
unnecessarily, Bush and McCain have been run out of the Phoenix Convention
Center due to the actions of us Grandmothers for Peace, Women in Black, Code
Pink and such anti-war groups.  The media will probably not cover it so I am
telling you about it.  We need the same kind of advocacy for war on disease.
Some of you no doubt don't think it does any good or are just not cut out to
protest publically.  But I feel today that sitting in the hot AZ sun for
hours for 3 years  has been well worth the effort.  I can't attend the
protest because I can't walk, but I think I've played a part in keeping the
anti-war movement alive.  I hope you will join me when I advocate to save
lives that are being destroyed by disease and injury.  This is a  "Red"
state too and  I think the tide may be turning.

Thanks to brother Gary and sis-in-law Patsy for demonstrating with me.
Thanks to Janet Vernon for holding down the fort in Green Valley AZ.

Ray
Grandmother for Peace

Friday, May 23, 2008 - 7:06 PM MST
Poor ticket sales, expected protests scuttle Bush-McCain fundraiser at
Phoenix Convention Center
Phoenix Business Journal - by Mike Sunnucks

A Tuesday fundraiser headlined by President Bush for U.S. Sen. John McCain's
presidential campaign is being moved out of the Phoenix Convention Center.
Sources familiar with the situation said the Bush-McCain event was not
selling enough tickets to fill the Convention Center space, and that there
were concerns about more anti-war protesters showing up outside the venue
than attending the fundraiser inside.
Another source said there were concerns about the media covering the event.
Bush's Arizona fundraising effort for McCain is being moved to private
residences in the Phoenix area. A White House official said the event was
being moved because the McCain campaign prefers private fundraisers and it
is Bush administration policy to have events in public venues open to the
media. The White House official said to reconcile that the Tuesday event
will be held at a private venue and not the Convention Center.
Convention Center personnel confirmed the event has been canceled at their
venue.
Tickets to the event were to range from $1,000 to $25,000 for VIP treatment.
Money was to go toward McCain's presidential bid and a number of Republican
Party organs.
Anti-war protesters were planning to be out in force. President Bush's job
approval rating stands at 31 percent, according to RealClearPolitics.com.
The McCain campaign referred questions on the fundraiser change to the White
House press office.

Rayilyn Brown
Board Member AZNPF