Embryo research backed by MPs
MPs have voted in favour of hybrid embryo research in a Parliamentary 22
Mays 2008 16:02

MPs have voted in favour of hybrid embryo research in a Parliamentary vote
last Monday evening.
A cross party attempt to ban research and attempts to change the law on
embryo research for the first time in 20 years, was defeated by a free vote
of 336 to 176.
A number of Catholic cabinet ministers voted for a ban on research, among
them Ruth Kelly and Des Browne. The Conservatives also had a number of
prominent MPs against the vote, among them former Tory leader William Hague
and Shadow Home Secretary David Davies.
Both Prime Minster Gordon Brown and Conservative leader David Cameron were
opposed to a ban on research.
A ban to also ban 'saviour siblings', where a baby is conceived in order to
save a sick sibling, was also outvoted by 342 to 163.
The vote came at the end of impassioned debates in the committee stage of
the Human Fertilisation and Embryology Bill, which is aimed at updating laws
from 1990 in line with scientific advances.
MPs also voted on Tuesday on the issue of cutting the abortion time limit.
Both Gordon Brown and David Cameron have backed the use of hybrid embryos
which scientists say can help in the treatment of debilitating diseases such
as Parkinson's and Alzheimer's disease.
Ex-minister Edward Leigh, who led the fight against the creation of hybrid
"admixed" embryos, saying  they were "ethically wrong and almost certainly
medically useless".
Mr Leigh said there was "no evidence yet to substantiate" claims that the
research on embryos could lead to treatment for degenerative diseases like
Parkinson's and Alzheimer's.
If it passes, the Bill would allow regulated research using hybrid or
"admix" embryos, where the nucleus of a human cell is inserted into animal
eggs. The resulting embryos would be kept for up to 14 days to harvest stem
cells.
Health Minister Dawn Primarolo sought to reassure those uneasy about the
research, saying that  any research done using human embryos "must satisfy
the Human Fertilisation and Embryology Authority that it was necessary or
desirable".
She added that no 'admix' embryo would be implanted into a woman or animal.
However, Mr Leigh said: "We do not believe that regulation is enough. We
believe this is a step too far and therefore should be banned.
 "In embryos, we do have the genetic make up of a complete human being and
we could not and should not be spliced together with the animal kingdom."

Rayilyn Brown
Board Member AZNPF