Michael J. Fox 'deeply moved' by honorary degree from UBC
Kelly Sinoski, Vancouver Sun
Published:Â Friday, May 23, 2008
He might have been giving an acceptance speech for an Emmy or a Golden
Globe, but the "incredible honour" for Michael J. Fox this week was an
honorary degree from the University of B.C.
Fox, 46, was ushered through UBC's Chan Centre Thursday morning with a group
of UBC grads and other honorary degree holders as part of the week's
convocation ceremonies.
"When I received the invitation, I thought, 'What were you thinking?' I have
no experience of graduating from university or even graduating from high
school," Fox joked, before adding: "This means a great deal to me, I'm
deeply moved."
 View Larger Image
Award-winning actor Michael J. Fox waves while accepting an honorary degree
at UBC on Thursday.
Ian Lindsay, Vancouver Sun

Fox, who received an honorary doctor of laws degree, was one of 10 people --
including Olympian Clara Hughes and architect Bing Thom -- who are being
honoured during the six days of ceremonies at UBC between May 21 and May 28.
"It's humbling to find myself among such great people," said Fox, who
suffers from Parkinson's disease.
David Farrar, UBC provost and vice-president, academic, paid tribute to Fox
as "the kid from Burnaby who went to Hollywood and made it big."
"With pride and delight, we watched the self-proclaimed 'army brat' emerge
as one of our country's most prominent actors," Farrar said.
Fox shot to fame as Alex P. Keaton, a Republican teenager in a Democratic
family, on the TV show Family Ties in the 1980s. He also appeared in TV
shows and movies, including Spin City, Back to the Future, The Secret of My
Success and Bright Lights, Big City.
But his biggest role came in 1991, when he was diagnosed with Parkinson's
disease, a degenerative disorder that often impairs motor skills and speech.
He didn't publicly reveal he had the disease until seven years later, and in
2000, he founded the Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research,
which has raised more than $120 million toward Parkinson's research.
During his speech at UBC, Fox's body often swayed with tremors and he
sometimes stumbled over his words as he told the grads how "truly honoured"
he was to share the day with them.
"No matter what path you take in life, remember that you have opportunity
every day, every moment to invent the future you want," he said.
He said he's been lucky to have had different roles in life, including those
of actor, husband, father and Parkinson's advocate, and remains inspired and
challenged by those around him.
"I have been blessed with the opportunity to work for real impact on the
world and in the lives of those around me, and to be a partner in the
critical search for answers," he said.
Despite his success, Fox showed he will always be a B.C. boy with roots in
Metro Vancouver who will never lose his sense of humour.
"This is not a big speech. I was told to be brief and casual -- that's me,
brief and casual," he joked. "I'm working now on my memoirs and the focus is
on optimism ... I'm never going to finish it. I'm so happy to be away from
it and be home."
© The Vancouver Sun 2008

Rayilyn Brown
Board Member AZNPF