Amendment Defining Human Life Likely Headed for Ballot

Last Edited: Tuesday, 13 May 2008, 9:42 PM MDT
Created: Tuesday, 13 May 2008, 9:41 PM MDT

The group Colorado for Equal Rights celebrates after turning in enough
signatures to place the "Personhood Amendment" on November's ballot. May 13,
2008.
by TAMMY VIGIL, Reporter

DENVER (MyFOXColorado.com) - A proposed constitutional amendment could make
Colorado a national battleground on the issue of abortion.
Tuesday, a victory of sorts for a group pushing an amendment that would
define a fertilized egg as a person.
Colorado for Equal Rights turned in 37 boxes and 131,245 signatures it needs
to place the "Personhood Amendment" on November's ballot. It needed to turn
in just over 76,000 signatures.
"We had over 1,100 volunteers around the state. We covered over 500
churches," says amendment sponsor, Kristi Burton.
"We believe the Colorado Constitution was created to protect every person.
So, the question we're asking is--who is a person?" says Burton.
Opponents to the measure have surprisingly similar views about the purpose
of the Constitution. "Colorado's Constitution was created to protect us,
rather than deny health care access to anyone in Colorado," says Toni
Panette, spokesperson for Protect Families Protext Choice coalition.
That group says defining life in the Constitution could lay the groundwork
to overturn Roe v. Wade and inviting government intrusion into private
medical decisions.
I don't think the definition of a person is a personal decision. That is a
scientific definition," says Burton. The 20-year-old says medical technology
clearly shows an unborn child is a person.
"There's 4-D ultrasounds. There's incredible medical evidence that an unborn
child is a person," says Burton.
But FOX 31's doctor John Torres says from a medical perspective a pregnancy
does not automatically mean a human will be born.
"Technology today in 2008 hasn't gotten to the point that we can sustain
life outside the womb any earlier than 20 weeks," he says.
Regardless, amendment supporters say their beliefs are strong. And so is
their battle to protect what they see as a person, no matter how small.
Opponents say the amendment could also ban the most popular forms of birth
control, and affect stem cell research and inheritance rights.
The Secretary of State's Office has up to 30 days to certify the petitions.

Rayilyn Brown
Board Member AZNPF
Arizona Chapter National Parkinson's Foundation