Hi Ray!  It is incredibly sad when such a large number of Americans are so
terribly ignorant that they would be so alarmingly ant-life.  Speaking of
ignorance, I missed that e-mail criticizing you for reporting on the requests
for Mandarin-speaking nannies.  I would have jumped to your defense.  I speak
seven languages.  Mandarin is not one of them, but it is the next one I'll
learn.  One out of four people on Earth, after all, speak Mandarin or a
closely-related Sino-Tibetan language.  If the US continues on its current
path, China soon will outshine us in terms of economy, military strength (the
only category in which the US is undeniably still in the lead), technology,
and medical prowess.  As I know you are aware, any country that impedes
scientific and medical development is going to fall rapidly behind otehr
countries.  Patriotic American realize this.  If they don't, their patriotism
certainly is misdirected.  Be well.  Scott

>===== Original Message From Parkinson's Information Exchange Network
>Scott
>
>Republican governor of  MN Pawlenty just vetoed a stem cell research bill.
>
>What I don't understand is why so many people in the US are against science
>and insist on voting against their own interests.
>
>This is a very serious situation  - -witnessing the decline and fall of the
>US.  Don Reed is learning Mandarin as part of his backup plan to go to China
>eventually to help his paralyzed son.
>
>Not so long ago I was criticized on this List for reporting that in NY
>people were wanting nannies who spoke Mandarin.  I was told I could just
>leave the US because I am not "patriotic" enough.
>
>Ray
>
>Rayilyn Brown
>Board Member AZNPF
>Arizona Chapter National Parkinson Foundation

Scott E. Antes
Department of Anthropology
Northern Arizona University
Flagstaff, AZ 86011-5200