From: Michael J Fox Foundation web site:
http://www.michaeljfox.org/newsEvents_parkinsonsInTheNews_article.cfm?ID=353

Kyowa Pharmaceutical Suspends Development of Istradefylline in North America
Kyowa Pharmaceutical, Inc., has issued the following open letter to the Parkinson's community regarding its June 3 announcement that it will suspend development of istradefylline in North America:
On behalf of Kyowa Pharmaceutical Inc., I would like to thank you for your interest in the istradefylline (KW-6002) program, and I want to inform you of a change in the clinical development plan.

On February 25, 2008, Kyowa received a “Not Approvable” letter from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for istradefylline and subsequently had discussions with the FDA about options for further development. After reviewing these options, Kyowa has decided to suspend development of istradefylline in North America at this time. This decision was not related to any safety issues concerning istradefylline.

This has been a very difficult decision for Kyowa. As always, we will keep you updated on our progress. I would like to extend our deepest thanks for your interest and ongoing support.

We understand that you may have questions and concerns. If so, please contact Kyowa Pharmaceutical at 609-919-1100.

Sincerely,

Satoshi Nakanishi, PhD
President
Kyowa Pharmaceutical, Inc.