What would a Barack Obama administration do for science?
June 9, 2008 on 2:29 am | In culture, health, people, politics, science |
So I was (again) reading over Barack Obama's campaign press release about
his plans to promote scientific research and education, and there's a lot to
like in there. Obama is aggressively in support of expanding federally
funded embryonic stem cell research. So much has been said about that topic
that I am not going to go into it right now, but to be clear: that's a 180
degree reversal from the Bush administration policy on stem cell research. I
also had not been aware already that Obama helped write and was an original
cosponsor of the Minority Health Improvement and Health Disparity
Elimination Act, which hopefully will become law after the current criminal
administration is sent packing. The whole text of the bill is in the last
link, but the Obama press release describes it thus:
The bill puts new emphasis on disparity research by reporting health care
data by race and ethnicity, as well as socioeconomic status and health
literacy. The legislation outlines mechanisms to conduct educational
outreach to minorities, increase diversity among health care professionals,
and improve the delivery of health care to minorities.
If we're going to have national health care, this sort of thing is critical
and taxpayers should actually be demanding it! Preventative medicine is
always cheaper than treating ailments and disease, and the potential
benefits of a healthy population go far beyond the lower cost of health care
(increased economic productivity, decreased poverty, decreased crime,
decreased drug abuse, the list is endless).
What really turns me on the most about Obama's priorities the most, though,
was this part of the document:
Improve and Prioritize Science Assessments: Assessments should reflect the
range of knowledge and skills students should acquire. Science assessments
need to do more than test facts and concepts. They need to use a range of
measures to test inquiry and higher order thinking skills including
inference, logic, data analysis and interpretation, forming questions, and
communication. High-performing states like Connecticut, Maine, New
Hampshire, and Vermont, use an assessment that calls for students to design
and conduct investigations, analyze and present data, write up and defend
results. Barack Obama will work with governors and educators to ensure that
state assessments measure these skills.
I cannot overemphasize how crucial that is! American science education is
fast becoming a joke on the international level. With rare exceptions, I was
not taught how to use inference, logic, or data analysis in the public high
school system, and I went to a half-decent public high school-ten years ago!
Most inner-city and some rural schools are far worse. Prioritizing how to
think over what to think is the key to producing bright, engaged, and
enthusiastic students who actually get what science is all about and are
well prepared to hit the ground running when they find the field of science
that really inspires them. After I finish graduate school, to the extent
possible, I'd like to be involved in changing American science education.
One dream I have is to work for Eugenie Scott and the National Center For
Science Education, which does great work defending public school curricula
against religious zealots who try to force intelligent design into the
science classroom. I donated $10 to them to offset the damage done when I
bought a ticket to Ben Stein's disgusting crock-umentary Expelled: No
Intelligence Allowed. If you ever doubt the sniveling academic dishonesty of
I.D. proponents, watch that film (download a pirated copy off the internet,
please) and read how well the good people who made ExpelledExposed.com
eviscerate just about every claim the film makes.
So, having veered just a bit off topic for a moment there, I'll try to bring
this back to the Obama science plan and wrap it up. From what I've read, I
am cautiously optimistic that a Barack Obama administration would be a very
science-friendly one. I think he doesn't go quite far enough in emphasizing
the need for interdisciplinary physical, chemical, and biological systems
research. He also needs to use that generic science document better to tie
into other large issues that are addressed elsewhere on the campaign
website, and which I haven't yet had time to peruse. I hope to post in the
near future my thoughts on the Obama's proposed energy and environmental
policies, and his position on NASA (as well as contrasting these with those
of John McCain). For the rest of tonight, though, I would be glad just to
get enough sleep so as not to be a total zombie at work tomorrow. I haven't
quit my day job yet; the blogging doesn't have me rolling in benjamins yet
like I hoped it would
For now, I'll leave you with this video from a few weeks ago when my
favorite artist and role model Dr. Gregory W. Graffin was presented with the
Lifetime Achievement Award by the Harvard Humanist Chaplaincy. It's got him
playing a few acoustic Bad Religion songs as well as talking about the award
and why he prefers the label "naturalist" versus "atheist." Wish I could
have been there for this!

sorry, didn't get author's name

Rayilyn Brown
Board Member AZNPF
Arizona Chapter National Parkinson's Foundation