Hello my fellow Parkies,
I thought I'd just share my experiences of the past weekend with you.
Friday the 6th, at 1 pm, I took my noon dose of pills (Madopar Quick Mite,
Tasmar, Sifrol/Pramipexol) and went to bed for a short nap.
Twenty minutes later I woke up with what felt like the worst back cramps in
recorded history. The first thought in my mind was that it was weird to have
dystonias of that magnitude all of a sudden; up to this point they had just
affected my neck and shoulders. I decided to try to relax and ride it out,
the pills ought to kick in in just ten minutes or so. No such luck; the
pills started to work their magic, but just enough to convince me that the
pain wasn't from my PD. It was hurting bad at this point. I called my wife
who was just around the corner to get some groceries, including that
all-important staple of my diet called licorice. Addicted to the stuff! ;)
She came home, and we decided that the best option at this point was to call
112 (our version of 911) and ask them for an opinion; there are registered
nurses available for advice on those tricky cases... After a short
just above my belly button, they decided to send an ambulance since it might
be the heart. The EKG taken in the ambulance was inconclusive, but
nitroglycerine and two shots of IV morphine had no significant effect, the
pain went from 8 to 5 on a scale of 1-10. I was wheeled into the heart ICU
of the nearest hospital, and after some 4-5 hours, quite a bit of poking and
prodding they ruled out the heart and transferred me to a ward that I only
can call "internal medicine intensive care for post-op and weird cases we
don't know where to put yet"!

There I was put on two different drugs, one codeine variant (I think) and
one morphine drug. Finally the pain went away... The blood work had ruled
out the heart, and a urine sample tested positive for blood, so the working
hypothesis was kidney stones. At 12.30 am they woke me up and took me down
to have a CAT-scan. Yup, three stones of approx. 1/8th of an inch diameter
or a bit larger. I'll be returning to the hospital to have them crushed with
ultrasound later this summer. After spending 48 hours at the hospital, I
didn't need any more drugs and was sent home with a prescription for one
drug to take the pain away and also help dilate the (for lack of the proper
medical term) funnel of the kidney, so that the stones can become dislodged
again should the pain return.

Today I received the hospital bill, and honestly I couldn't believe my eyes:
USD 45!!! All included. I hereby promise never, NEVER to complain about the
35 % tax I pay, ever again. I knew healthcare in Sweden was inexpensive, but
this is just amazing.

Take care guys and gals! CU!
/John (18 onset, 26 diagnosis, 39 years old now)