Neurology Now:Volume 4(3)May/June 2008p 10
THIS WAY IN: To China for Stem Cells
[DEPARTMENTS: THE WAITING]
Schuster, Larry
If you have amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS, or Lou Gehrig's disease),
and you've been in a wheelchair for a year or more, this ad from a company
in China for a stem cell therapy (SCT) bolstered by a bone marrow transplant
(BMT) is aimed at you:
7 SCTs and 1 BMT at a total cost of $33,800.00 USD.
The ad, however, fails to note that no rigorous study has ever been
conducted on the therapies to determine if they have any benefit on the
course of the disease in ALS, in spinal cord injuries, or in any of a large
number of neurological illnesses and conditions for which the company offers
the treatments, which feature cord-blood derived stem cells.
Lucie Bruijn, Ph.D., scientific director and vice president of the ALS
Association, says there's certainly been no evidence that bone marrow
transplants have any value in treating ALS patients. She calls
commercialization of these various unproven cell transplant therapies
unethical.
Sean Hu, Ph.D., chief executive officer of Beike, himself notes the
limitations of the therapy in ALS patients.
Before the treatment they could reach their hand only to the chest. After
treatment they can comb their hair and wash their face, Dr. Hu says. But the
improvements don't last long. That's the problem. Still, he says, many
patients return to repeat the therapy.
Some independent research suggests the immediate improvements sometimes seen
after such treatments may be due to a powerful placebo effect, triggered in
part by intensive community fundraising efforts and support. Dr. Hu
disagrees, saying he believes that growth factors released during Beike's
therapy are responsible.
Several American researchers have tried to find whether the cell treatments
offered by commercial clinics in China have any effect. So far, there's been
no clear evidence of benefit. Dr. Hu says that they hope to have trial data
soon. As we wait for our international trials to start, we believe we should
conduct controlled studies here in China. This is what led us to do the
optic nerve hypoplasia study, which we have worked on with physicians from
the U.S. to make sure that it was designed in a way that will gain
acceptance from the international scientific community.
Yet, after hearing about the billions of dollars allocated for stem cell
research in California and elsewhere and reading the hopeful promotions by
the stem cell clinics and companies, many patients refuse to wait for
evidence of benefit.
I need those stem cells, patients sometimes tell Bruce H. Dobkin, M.D., of
the Reed Neurologic Research Center at the University of California-Los
Angeles, and editor in chief of the journal Neurorehabilitation and Neural
Repair. Usually, he can discourage the patient from going to the stem cell
clinics after talking about what is known about the therapy and the risks,
Dr. Dobkin says. No one has reported a clinically important and lasting gain
of function in patients.
Rayilyn Brown
Director AZNPF