Friends and Fellow Parkies - I had  2 of these brain surgeries in 2003 - the
2nd one was a redo of the 1st.

Check for local times:  in AZ and CA it is aired at 9:00 PM on ABC

Parkinson's Patient: 'I Was Free'
Awake Brain Surgery Can Eliminate Parkinson's Tremors
By ALI SARGENT
June 25, 2008
Mary Kane won't let Parkinson's disease stand in her way.
"I move hay. I move 50 pound bags of feed. I fix fences," she said. "I
chainsaw down trees!"
Dr. Frederick Lenz marks the spot on Mary Kane's head where he will drill a
hole and implant a wire...
Dr. Frederick Lenz marks the spot on Mary Kane's head where he will drill a
hole and implant a wire in her brain. Kane was awake for the entire
procedure so that doctors could monitor her brain function and determine the
best placement for the wire. The wire extends to a regulating device
embedded under the skin on her chest. This system, sometimes compared to a
pacemaker, sends electricity to a targeted area of the brain. These
electrical pulses can help curb Parkinson's symptoms.
(ABC News)
So when her symptoms become resistant to the medication she has been taking
for 16 years, she went to Johns Hopkins Hospital to have her brain
surgically re-wired.
Watch the series premiere of "Hopkins" Thursday, June 26, at 10 p.m. ET.
CLICK HERE for behind the scenes videos, doctor profiles and patient
updates.
Parkinson's is a degenerative neurological disease. Some of the symptoms,
which vary from patient to patient, are caused by a deficiency of dopamine.
Dopamine is a neurotransmitter, a chemical that delivers messages from brain
cells that regulate many body functions. When there is not enough, patients
experience involuntary movement. Tremors, slowness of movement, and rigidity
are all common symptoms of the disease, which is why Parkinson's is
classified as a movement disorder.

Rayilyn Brown
Director AZNPF