-----Original Message-----
From: Parkinson's Information Exchange Network
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Scott E. Antes
Sent: Friday, June 27, 2008 10:43 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Sinemet CR & Dyskinesia ????

No matter how much has been researched and written on L-Dopa and other meds,

no matter what our individual experiences are, the bottom line (again) is
that every PD patient is unique and responds differently to meds and other
treatments.  This is what makes this malady so frustrating.  I have been
astounded to hear neurologists ask Laureen, "What do you want to try next?"

One neurologist even wrote her half a dozen prescriptions, so that she could

decide for herself what to experiment with!

As we've already discussed, neurologists take their own approaches to PD.
Some have a lot of experience with PD, others have little more than a clue.

Some unbelievably overmedicate their patients.  Some take a more cautious
approach.  Some say it's better to start medication early, others later,
etc.  As a scholar, I have read the literature on medications over and over
and over and over, only to conclude that very little exists (to date, and to
my knowledge) that applies to everyone in the PD community.  One thing we
can say for sure is that PD medications have side effects, whether it be
hallucinations, diskinesia, gastric distress, or whatever.

What makes a list like this one so valuable is that fact that it enables
PDers to compare their experiences and share information that hopefully will
apply to others on the list.  One researcher commented to me that everyone
on this PD list is lost, that everyone is just grabbing at straws!  (That
researcher by the way, does not have the answers, either.)  As insulting as
that comment sounds, it seems to me that the world of PD is, indeed, an easy
one in which to get lost, because everyone who's trusted to know what he or
she is doing gives different directions.  At least here on the List, people
have found *something* important; they've found each other.  I don't need to
go into how helpful that is.   Scott

Scott E. Antes
Department of Anthropology
Northern Arizona University