Ray

Date: 14 July 2008
Mild impairments in frontostriatal cognitive function can occur in patients
who undergo bilateral subthalamic deep brain stimulation (DBS) for
Parkinson's disease, according to a report in the Journal of Neurology,
Neurosurgery, and Psychiatry for July.
"Potential (DBS) candidates should be counseled about the risk of mild
cognitive declines following surgery so that they can weigh the risks and
benefits," Dr. M. K. York, from Baylor College of Medicine in Houston, and
colleagues emphasize.
In the new study, the researchers used standard tests to assess cognitive
function at baseline and six months later in 23 patients treated with DBS
and 28 who received medical therapy.
DBS was associated with a significant decline in verbal memory (p < 0.003),
the investigators note. Moreover, there was also evidence that DBS led to
impairments in oral information processing, including verbal fluency, timed
transcription, and word naming. Lastly, one patient treated with DBS, but
none given medical therapy, converted to dementia during the study.
Declines in attention, set shifting, and semantic fluency were also noted in
the DBS group, but the changes were on par with what was seen in the
medically treated patients.
Testing using reliable change indices supported an adverse effect for DBS on
frontostriatal function. By contrast, DBS did not seem to cause depression,
anxiety, or psychological distress.
"The need for future research investigating the long-term impact of these
vital cognitive processes, their impact on the patient's daily functioning,
and their correlation with neuroimaging studies is clear," the authors
state.
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 2008;79:789-795

Rayilyn Brown
Director AZNPF