Hi Ginny

Tho I share the visceral response, I have also learnt that comma
splices are required in much legal discourse.  Apparently lawyers
believe that judges believe semi-colons separate clauses to the point
where they may not modify each other (semantically), so they
intentionally use commas where the handbook rules require
semi-colons.  Given their situated purposes, I certainly would want
any lawyers representing me to continue with their comma splices.

I agree with the various responses about spelling that are based in
situated rhetoric (and thus genre).  As an immigrant to Canada, I
learned to spell words like 'labour" with a 'u' on the chalkboard
because that seemed to say something that mattered to my students (at
least in the 70s and early 80s)--even though they didn't seem to care
how their Canadian-born instructors spelt these words.

I think it is important to distinguish venial from mortal
sins.  Perhaps because they are viewed as elementary--apostrophe
errors, along with "sentence sense" errors like comma splices and
errors that indicate non-elite or immigrant social status seem to
upset many readers more than most handbook errors.  Cf., Maxine
Hairston's classic College English article, "Not All Errors are Created Equal."

Have fun,
Rick

P.S.,
You probably know this, but I'd also suggest that, when doing media
interviews, one should keep it simple, prepare two or three points
you want to make (and examples to support them), and keep focussed on
them despite all the pet peeves about "English" this topic is likely
to evoke from callers.