My analogy is that correct spelling and punctuation are matters of
etiquette, like knowing which fork to use at a fancy dinner.  Any of the
forks will suffice to get the food to your mouth - but using the correct one
will indicate that you're a member of the "in" group, that you know the
rules, that you're one of "us".

(Of course, honesty compels me to point out that my most recent teaching
experience was in China, where the analogy just fell flat . . . :)

Marcy