When I first gained internet access and found the PARKINSN list at
the University of Toronto, I was welcomed to the list by Camilla and
found a community of Parkies and Caregivers interacting. Those early
posts included many nutritional notes by Kathryn Holden which were
helpful to us. I remember other parkies who reached out to us in our
early searching for online information about PD and its treatment. It
also put us in touch with Dr. Abe Lieberman's daily online forum. It
was during this period we began to read online about pallidotomy as a
surgical intervention. Nancy's neurologist at the time had just told
her that there was nothing more that could be done for her situation
in 1994. Somehow she got the National Parkinson's Foundation's phone
number and called almost in tears asking to talk with someone who
could give her some hope. She was referred to Dr. Peter LeWitt at the
NPF Center for Excellence in Michigan. She made that call and was
given an appointment within two weeks. He led her to Dr. Fred Junn
who did the surgical intervention for her in August 1996. Those
appointments involved 1200-mile round trips and were made without
hesitation. Her successful pallidotomy was celebrated by the Henry
Ford Hospital's Will Robinson Neurosurgery Fund's designation as an
Honored Patient at the 5th Annual Fundraiser at the Palace in Auburn
Hills, MI, October 1997.
We shall be forever grateful for the support of NPF, the Parkinsn
list and all those who have been such a help to us in this journey.
As I recall it was about that time the CARE list was created to
provide for caregivers who had different needs. We dropped off the
Parkinsn list when she retired in 2000. I am so pleased to be a
member now of both lists which provide so much support and information.

Wayne 71 CG for Nancy 74/22/52