Joan has been working for years for research for the PD cure.  Her very
successful  "Shake Rattle and Roll" event comes up in 2 months.  If you want
to contribute, email me and I will send you the necessary contact info.

Ray

"after the last bit of news about the stem cell research that i sent to list
via my friend Ray, i realized how hard it must be to get anything out of my
hope-struck, naive, absolutely amaturish words. so asked Lauren Hughes
(Dr.Cady's assisant and student) to explain. here is her response:

Hi Joan -

Here are the pictures from the immunocytochemistry staining.  {if you would
like to see the photos of these stains, please go to: www.calipso-pd.org }

1.  The green neurons - the punctate spots (the bright green areas) indicate
that Voltage Gated Sodium Channels (VGSCs)  are present.  These channels are
not found in stem cells.
2.  The green stem cells - show the contrast between the punctate neurons
and regular cells.
3.  The red and purple neurons - also show punctate spots
4.  The red and purple stem cells - show that undifferentiated stem cells do
not have VGSCs.

This is exciting because we now can observe whether our stem cells have
transdifferentiated into neurons by seeing whether they have developed
VGSCs.  This was a major obstacle in our lab for a long time now and brings
us to step 2 in the transdifferentiation project.

1.  Place factors on stem cells to see whether they can look like neurons
(morphologically similar) - (YES!! THEY DO!!!)
2.  See whether they have the same channels specific to neurons (now we can
tell)
3.  Perform electrophysiology to see if they act like neurons (hopefully by
the end of the summer)

Let me know if you have questions!
Lauren Hughes
Dr. Cady's lab

and...

SHAKING IT UP WITH POLITICS & PD

On Saturday, September 6th, 2008, I will once again be wearing my
pro-Democratic politics on my shirtsleeve. On that date, I will be hosting,
at my house, a meet & greet opportunity for my girlfriend, Jehan Gordon who
is running as a Democrat for the State House of Representatives for the 92nd
District. Jehan is a brilliant, forward thinking, young woman who is not
afraid to listen, learn and lead. Also expected to attend and to endorse
Jehan at this event, is United States Representative Phil Hare, the
Congressman for the Quad Cities, who was elected to take up the causes of
former Congressman Lane Evans (who was forced to leave office because of his
Parkinson's Disease). Phil Hare has accomplished much under his own agenda:
in veteran's affairs, labor issues and helping the people in the Quad Cities
who were devastated by the horrific flooding earlier this year. I am quite
looking forward to my venture into politics and to feel like I am able to
truly make a small bit of difference in getting the right party into power
at the state level thereby helping to grease the wheels in an Obama-led
White House. I expect to see lots of local Democratic organizers and
committee people here. If you would like an invitation, please contact me!
Entertainment will be provided by Hannah Offatt and beer provided by Bill
Fleming from the Blarney Castle Restaurant & Pub.

Joan Blessington Snyder  56/18
www.calipso-pd.org
"Hang tough...no way through it but to do it."

Rayilyn Brown
Director AZNPF