Dear Amanda,
I thought I would send you a copy of a letter I have left with
legislators regarding the stem cell issue in America. It is not as
much as how PD has affected my life, but more to the point, how the
research may affect my life.  I don't know if it will be of any help
to you, but perhaps it will lead you into a direction of your own.
You are welcome to use any part of it.
*******

For the past twenty-four years, my constant companion has been
Parkinson’s disease, a debilitating neurological life-altering
disorder that destroys the brain cells controlling voluntary movement.

  As the years progress, so do my symptoms.  Every case of Parkinson’s
is unique.  While I don’t suffer from the incapacitating tremors that
many others do, loss of balance has caused falls and fractures and
slow movement can make getting dressed a two-hour chore.  The handful
of expensive medications I take on a very precise two-hour schedule no
longer overcomes the problems of rigidity, poor coordination,
weakness, cramping, incontinence and unbearable sweating episodes as
well as they once did.  These same pills also create tiring,
unsightly, uncomfortable and uncontrollable movements.  My four young
grandchildren have learned that my ability to play with them is
determined by the timing and effectiveness of the medication I take
every two hours, which changes not by the day or the hour, but by the
minute.

Because of Parkinson’s, my future may find me a prisoner in my own
body, still able to think, yet frozen…like polio victims, who were
forced to live their lives in iron lungs. Even though some people
initially opposed the research, prevention and cures were found for
polio, but Parkinson’s is still considered incurable.  Now embryonic
stem cells have been isolated which offers the potential of someday
replacing my lost brain cells by creating new ones.

This can be the key to a cure not only for Parkinson’s but a multitude
of other diseases.  There are different kinds of stem cells; however,
the majority of researchers believe the cells that are best used for
research are only 4-5 days old.  To better understand, National
Geographic shows a photograph of a five day old embryo which easily
fits in the eye of a needle.  The cells are absolutely identical and
have not begun to form into any part of a human body and won’t until
they are at least 10-14 days old.

Just as an acorn is not an oak tree, an embryo is not a human being.
There is the potential to become an oak tree or a person; but to reach
that potential there must be a nurturing environment, whether it is in
the ground or in the womb.  I don’t believe you can compare a
potential person to a real person.  These are human cells, NOT human
beings!  I am a real human being.  These cells are not intended to be
implanted in a womb to become human beings, and with SCNT, they are
not genetically coded to even support a pregnancy.

As with pharmaceuticals and surgery, I believe that God has given us
the knowledge to understand this 14 day window of opportunity as His
gift to sustain life and relieve human suffering.  After which, He has
given us the gift of creation of life.

I am one of a hundred million people whose disease has progressed
while we debate when life begins.  Every day we delay this promising
research puts the cure one day further into the future. Medical
science has made a great deal of progress over the years-- iron lungs
are now a thing of the past. I want to be able to play with my
grandchildren. I don’t want them to remember that their Grandma
couldn’t move or talk or smile.

It has been estimated that approximately 2800 men, women and children
are dying every day accompanied by the prolonged pain and suffering of
incurable diseases that now have the potential to be cured with stem
cell research.  To put that into perspective, a similar number of
people died dramatically on 9/11.  While not as dramatic as the horror
of a terrorist attack to our country, the anguish to families as they
watch their loved ones slowly die from being attacked by disease, is
just as great.

	I believe we have a moral obligation to keep the doors open for all
forms of legitimate research.  It’s not a question of will this
research be done.  The only question is where this research will be
done. Think of living in a world free of preventable and currently
incurable diseases.  As Americans, we are world leaders in medical and
biological research.  We are proud of our history.  History is
determined by the decisions made in the past.   Let us not forget,
what we do today becomes the history of tomorrow.

Nina
"Circumstances determine our lives, but we shape our lives by what we
make of our circumstances."

Nina Brown
  "Circumstances determine our lives, but we shape our lives by what
we make of our circumstances."

Secretary/Founding Board Member, The Alliance for Medical Research
(http://www.tamr-ed.org)
Founding Board Member, Texans for Advancement of Medical Research
(http://www.txamr.org)
Vice President, Houston Area Parkinson Society
  (http://www.hapsonline.org)
State Coordinator, Parkinson's Action Network
(http://www.parkinsonsaction.org)