Joan,
I was dx in the early 90's and will be 64 years old tomorrow.....I have
followed this list for most of its existence, seldom posting anymore. (Linda
Herman was thoughtful enough to include some of my poetry from the early days in
her 'when Parkinsons strikes young' book.)

However, your letter describing 'what I miss' is one that I had saved in my
own special archives file.  I copied this letter to my own children when it
was first posted.  I have on several occasions shared it with friends who  have
had a family member newly dx'd.  I believe this letter so accurately
describes changes in our lives.

I do have a grandson with a rare form of muscular dystrophy....and I have
learned over the years while watching Griffin, that we are not the only group of
 people who are robbed of the subtleties of life.  We are not the only
people who are hard to dx, who have a degenerative disease, who science does not
have the answers for.  We had a promise of a 5 year cure......Griffin had a
promise that liver transplant would cure his disease.  He is now 9 years  post
liver transplant (10 years old) and we see his loss of muscle strength and
other declines each time we visit.

My husband is a biochemist (molecular biologist) and I see the steady
progress that science makes first hand on a regular basis. Sometimes it is  two
steps forward and one step back....some times it marches in place for years
awaiting a newer technology.   Science doesn't move on a regular time
table...."scientist know no time" said Leonardo daVince centuries  ago.   Ironically, Mark
Wilson, who identified the first  Parkinsons related gene as a part of his
post-doctoral work on the East  Coast, is in the lab/office next to my husband
now....at University of  Nebraska- Lincoln.

I have done my 'political bit'; I have done my 'education bit'; I have done
my 'voice of pd bit' and I still continue to dabble in PD as my interest and
energy allow.....but mostly it is answering questions for newly dx'd friends
or  families.....'what will happen next?'.  I am one of the fortunate ones to
have had fairly slow but steady progression......I can still walk from my car
to  the front door at Walmart before I use the electric cart.   The  flowers
in the yard bloom in appreciation of the care that I used to be able to  give
to them.

I have not given up hope that some day others will have a treatment/cure
that works better than what we have today...but most of my extra energy now is
spent sewing (all machine work, I have lost the fine motor skills for tiny hand
 embroidery) burial clothing for premature infants and crib sheets etc for
the  local shelter for abused spouse/family members.

PD has changed every minute and every second of my life for the past 20
years.  As you say so well.....the first loss came in self confidence as  doctors
and family denied symptoms for those of us 'too young to have  PD'.   Friends
and family have died in accidents, from cancer, and  from heart disease during
that time period.  Friends and family have lost  precious time and skills
with strokes, muscular dystrophy and Alzheimers,  etc.

We have all lost so much more than the precious moments your letter
describes..........and we all continue to give so much more than we will ever  know.

Thanks,
Rita Weeks

deal here.