David,

The FDA-approved prescribing information mentions that laboratory tests
often show reduced blood levels of uric acid associated with Sinemet (I assume
that is what you are taking, since levodopa is rarely prescribed by  itself).
Gout is often considered to be caused by elevated levels of blood  uric acid.
There is no specific mention of gout in the prescribing  information.

Having said this, I heard a presentation at the American Academy of
Neurology last April about the association of increased blood urate with slower
progression of PD.  The Fox Foundation has made a major grant supporting  the study
of inosine (a dietary supplement that increases blood uric acid  levels) and
the progression of PD.

It's not clear what the relationship between gout/uric acid and PD is yet,
but you might want to ask you doc to check your uric acid level.

Wilson

In a message dated 8/25/2008 2:00:18 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,