August 29, 2008
Reflections on Camping for Parkinsonians
Being A Series Of Observations And Experiences From Which Some Wisdom May Be
Found
First let me apologize for taking so long to get back into this blog and at
the same time I'*m back and none the worse for wear. I would like to take
this post to dwell on a few things to consider or avoid while camping with
Parkinson's.
The first item had the biggest impact and it was the fact we camp in a tent.
Tents have come a long way since they were simple squarish heavy canvas and
steel pipe structures capable of incapacitating your back after one lift
from the car to the ground. Today tents are lightweight, water proof and
held up by tensioned lightweight shock corded composite poles. This enables
large spaces to be easily enclosed. This is all good so what is the problem?
Tensioned in this manner leads by design or accident to curved walls, domed
ceilings and round zipper doors. There are no level straight or vertical
lines anywhere and you usually have to hunch over to get in and stay hunched
over to move around. I have Parkinsons! Balance is not always my best thing.
Now I have to hunch, squat, and lean to get in or out.
Recommendation: Next year I would like to try renting a tent trailer. It has
to be set up level. has full headroom a proper front door. In short, has all
the horizontal and vertical points of reference.
Second, air mattresses can be extremely nasty things, unless they are
inflated to rock hard and stay there. But no, that is not what air
mattresses do. Under normal circumstances, changing positions for the
Parkinsonian, like rolling onto your other side is not just a simple task,
its an adventure. Now imagine that same task on a less than rock hard air
mattress. As you push down with your hands, the part you want to roll over
suddenly finds that the air has shifted to the middle and you are still in
full contact and can not complete the roll over.
Recommendation: get one of those sleeping pads of blue, dense, solid core
foam
that the scouts and guides use OR get a self inflating air mattress
typically about an inch thick when inflated. Neither of these bulge. Also,
neither will launch your partner on different trajectories as you land from
significant heights while executing rollovers.
Finally, and this is the hardest thing to do, make sure that your campsite
is level or at least has a smooth slope. Gullies from rainfall, abrupt level
changes and jutting roots and rocks can all contribute to a fall. The reason
its the hardest item is because you tyically have no control unless you are
familiar with the park.
By the way, signs were posted again this year that said "Active Bear in
Campground". On the way out I asked if there had been many sightings of the
bear. The reply was that two had been seen in our camping area and another
two seen in the campground across the road. I still haven't seen a bear.
http://www.typepad.com/t/trackback/3023530/32908612

I DID NOT WRITE THIS - DON'T HAVE AUTHOR'S NAME
Ray
Rayilyn Brown
Director AZNPF