Good question Marcy, but not so easy to answer.  Like many Inkshedders, Inkshed has had significant impacts in both my professional and personal life and it's not easy to hear things that may come across as being critical.  I tried to address some of these things in the upcoming newsletter, but here's an immediate impression.  I think that people who don't share the same positive experience that I have had at Inkshed simply don't come back.  My impression from many of these people who I spoke with during the course of my research is that they find the community insular and self-absorbed.  They also feel that it lacks the intellectual rigour and intensity that it once had or that other conferences have and that it's the same thing year after year.

I am not suggesting that the entire Inkshed culture needs to be revisited and reinvented.  I am suggesting, however, that instead of letting these participants disappear, we need to examine their frustrations.
Miriam

Miriam E. Horne, PhD
Faculty, Core Division
Champlain College