Palin v. McCain on stem cells
From NBC's Domenico Montanaro
A new McCain radio ad touts the Republican presumptive nominee's moderate
stance on stem cell research -- and it lumps Palin in with that stance.

"They're the original mavericks. Leaders. Reformers. Fighting for real
change," an announcer begins. "John McCain will lead his Congressional
allies to improve America's health. Stem cell research to unlock the mystery
of cancer, diabetes, heart disease. Stem cell research to help free families
from the fear and devastation of illness. Stem cell research to help doctors
repair spinal cord damage, knee injuries, serious burns. Stem cell research
to help stroke victims." And then later: Change is coming. McCain-Palin and
Congressional allies."

But as Hotline's Jen Skalka points out, "During a 2006 AK gubernatorial
debate, Palin was asked for her view on stem sell research:

"'Well, another hypothetical, because I certainly have not seen it on the
docket in our university system, stem cell research. But here again, with a
Pro-life position, and its interesting that so many questions revolve around
this centeredness I have of respecting life and the potential of every human
life, but no, stem-cell research would ultimately end in destruction of
life. I couldnā?Tt support (it).'"
Skalka adds, "It's worth noting, too, that the GOP's 2008 platform included
strong language" calling for a ban on "all embryonic stem-cell research,
public or private."

 Rayilyn Brown
Director AZNPF