Normally, I would agree that religion and politics should be left out of
conversations between family and friends, but these are not normal times.
Religious ideology has taken power in Washington during the last 8 years,
capturing the GOP as its "base".  Bush's Executive Order in 2001  put me on
the road to changing my  party affiliation. Time was when you could be both
a  Republican and pro-science.  No more.  "Moderate" Republicans don't exist
anymore, they are now Democrats.

No, I do not know I would have beem cured by now of PD if Gore had become
President, but it is WRONG to handcuff scientists.  If you believe a cell is
a person, fine, just don't ever avail yourself of any treatment generated by
them.  Be like Jehovah's Witnesses who don't deny they  rest of us blood
transfusions.

It is important that you know where candidates stand on the issue of SCR.
Nobody is telling you how to vote, but don't  tell me McCain supports
embryonic stem cell research anymore.  Although he doesn't have strong
religious convictions he will owe the  "base" if elected and if he dies,
Palin, is a sworn enemy of reason and research.

I have been asserting this all along as McCain co-sponsored Brownback's bill
to criminalize SCNT.  SCNT, you'll recall is using an unfertilized egg and
your own somatic cells like skin cells.  McCain has been both for (adult
SCR) and against (SCNT) stem cell research.

Rayilyn Brown

PLEASE READ:

campaign indicated they would seek to outlaw somatic cell transfer
completely.

 WASHINGTON, D.C. (Inside Catholic) - There has been some evidence during
the campaign that McCain's position on embryonic stem cell research was
softening. I was skeptical of drawing any conclusions having discussed it
with McCain several times. But now the more optimistic prediction has come
to pass

We have Sen. Sam Brownback to thank for this, I am sure.

campaign indicated a McCain administration would continue the present
limitations on research instituted by President Bush and would seek to
outlaw somatic cell transfer completely.

The scientists quoted in the article are not too happy with McCain's
apparent shift on the issue.

My friend John Jakubczyk of Phoenix, who has known McCain a long time, had
been bugging me about this all summer. I kept telling him, "No way, no way
is McCain going to change on this." To which he replied, "But Sam
[Brownback], I know, is talking to him."

I guess this is one case where I set my sights too low. . . . lesson
learned. "

Rayilyn Brown
Director AZNPF