 Google co-founder starts personal blogDarren Waters
18 Sep 08, 21:45 GMT

Sergey Brin, the co-founder of Google, has said he will help the fight
against Parkinson's.
Writing in a newly-formed personal blog, called Too., he announces that a
genetic test has shown he has a mutation of gene LRRK2 called G2019S, which
means he "has a markedly higher chance of developing Parkinson's... than the
average person".
Brin's mother has Parkinson's but it is not a hereditary disease.
The test was carried out by a firm called 23andMe, the co-founder of which,
Anne Wojcicki, is Brin's wife.
Google invested in the firm last year.
As Google executive Bradley Horowitz wrote on Twitter, making this news
public: "May he beat it!"
Brin writes: " This leaves me in a rather unique position. I know early in
my life something I am substantially predisposed to. I now have the
opportunity to adjust my life to reduce those odds (e.g. there is evidence
that exercise may be protective against Parkinson's).
"I also have the opportunity to perform and support research into this
disease long before it may affect me. And, regardless of my own health it
can help my family members as well as others."
Scientists battling Parkinson's and families whose loved ones have the
condition will no doubt be glad to hear that one of the world's richest and
resourceful men has vowed to fight it.
Brin's public disclosure of his genetic test is also interesting. Brin is a
very private man but in writing a blog he has exposed his private life in a
way we have not seen before.
He describes his blog as "personal". "While Google is a play on googol, too
is a play on the much smaller number - two. It also means "in addition", as
this blog reflects my life outside of work."

Source:  BBC News

Rayilyn Brown
Director AZNPF