  _____

From: Bernard Barber Ph.D. [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Saturday, September 13, 2008 11:46 AM
To: 'rayilynlee'
Subject: RE: Bob Kendall Outrage

  _____

From: rayilynlee [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Friday, September 12, 2008 10:08 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Cc: [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; Bernard Barber
Subject: Bob Kendall Outrage

From: Bernard Barber Ph.D. <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
To: Rayilyn Brown <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Friday, September 12, 2008 8:43 PM
Subject: Ray, Please forward this Email to the Mayor and Chief of Police of
Ashland

Mayor Stewart:
.
I have been deeply disturbed by the action of the Ashland Police Department
regarding their treatment of a Citizen with Parkinson Disease.

As a retired Police Psychologist I wonder about the training these officers
received. Over thirty years ago, I was asked to discuss mental health issues
with cadets in our Academy. What was stressed by our Department was the
understanding and responsibility to the citizens of our community. The
message was "To Protect and Serve". It did not mean to protect and serve
only some citizens, but all citizens in need of help.

We did not reinforce the opinion that the officer was to make judgments
beyond their ability and training. To do otherwise is arrogance and abuse of
authority.The legal system, in most states, is the determinate of guilt or
innocence.

The comments of a Senior Officer as to the use of Bracelets to be worn is
most inappropriate, and shifts the responsibility to the victim.

Bernard Barber, Ph.D.
Phoenix, Arizona