Saliva, Phlegm and Parkinson's Disease
Anonymous
Parkinson's Disease

There are 15% Parkinson's patients starting the levodopa thereapy report the
above diseases. Saliva and phlegm are one of the syndromes of Parkinson's
Disease. Sometimes we are difficulty to diagnose them. I was told that the
phlegm is actually thick saliva locked deep down in my throat.Due to PD
medication the saliva become thicker and stringier. The thick saliva locked
down my throat that is itching and I feel the needs to cough and clear my
throat all the times In fact excess saliva in the mouth which causes
drooling, is one of the syndrome and feature of Parkinson's . Studies shown
that 70-80% of people with Parkinson's experience this problem. The
condition is not due to excess production. On the contrary most people with
Parkinson's actually produce less saliva. The problem is that PD reduces the
frequency of automatic swallowing, and this in turn allows saliva to
accumulate within the mouth that causes saliva drooling when the mouth is
opened. This is why PD have mask face (poker face) PD patients feel socially
embarrassing for the above that are reluctant to go out in public TEOKIMHOE
Posted by Hero Teo at 9:48 PM

Rayilyn Brown
Director AZNPF