No one knows what goes on between two people behind closed doors  except for
those two people.  I was highly insulted by this e-mail  and asked my brother,
who is extremely knowledgeable in this area for his  opinion.  He writes:

Roberta:

In case you don't have the  time to read the entire article (which is very
good) here are the  summarized facts you need.

Carol Shepp McCain, a former fashion  model, was gravely injured and
permanently disabled in an auto wreck on  Christmas Eve 1969, while McC was in a North
Vietnamese dungeon.  I  don't know if his captors even told him about her
misfortune.  He  returned home in 1973.  Both tried to make the marriage work,
but  after more than six years of separation (his carrier time and his
imprisonment) they had little in common.  Shepp says the marriage  foundered because
John was nearing 40 and wanted to be 25 again -- she  takes a "these things
happen" attitude, describes him as a friend, and  says he's a "good guy."  She
does not blame him for the breakup,  although he takes full responsibility for
it.  He did not meet Cindy  until 1979, when he and Carol were working out a
separation  agreement.  They were immediately attracted to each other.  She
felt she was too young for him.  He felt he was too old for  her.  So they both
lied about their ages.  In '80 he filed for  an uncontested divorce.  Shepp
considers him a friend.  She  supported him for the Presidency in 2000 and is
supporting him again this  year.  Don't expect McC to rebut any of the lies told
about the  breakup.  All he has ever said publicly about the divorce is:   "It
was all my fault."  That's the appropriate response for an  officer and a
gentleman, which he is, always has been, and always will  be.

I doubt that Perot paid her medical bills.  Why  would he have to?  As the
wife of a Navy officer she was entitled to  the best free medical treatment
available, which would have been at  Bethesda for someone injured so seriously.
There would not have been  any bills.  To quote COL Potter on Mash:  "That's
horse  hockey."

Please tell your correspondent for me that he's full  of s---and I'm not
joking this time.

_http://www.newsweek.com/id/142650/page/1_
(http://www.newsweek.com/id/142650/page/1)

In a message dated 9/15/2008 2:03:03 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,