Re: Dystonia

I had very severe dystonia in my right foot and ankle when I was first
diagnosed with PD 15 mos. ago and before I started on medicine.
I consulted several neurologists about getting a brace but they all told
me it would not stop the dystonia, instead my foot would keep trying to
turn in the brace and that would probably abrade the skin.
I was fortunate to be given a referral to the NIH Rehab Dept in
Bethesda, near my home, where I was given a sturdy plastic brace (from
foot to mid- calf) with Velcro straps. I wore it day (and many nights)
for almost two weeks. At the end of two weeks I found that my errant
dystonic muscles had conceded the fight. The dystonia in my ankle has
never returned.
I have no idea if that could work for anyone else but it wouldn't hurt
to try. If anyone wants to know the brand of brace -- it was not
custom-made -- I would be happy to check and get back to them.

Dianne Cooperman
Rockville, MD