Barack Obama to answer questions about science, technology, health and the
environment. Here are some of their responses.
By Karen Kaplan, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
9:35 AM PDT, September 26, 2008

"Who will be the best president for America in a science-dominated world?"

That's the question posed by Science Debate 2008, a group of scientists,
journalists and concerned citizens who wanted to engage Democrat Barack
Obama and Republican John McCain on issues that aren't normally addressed on
the campaign trail.

Both candidates submitted written responses to 14 questions about science,
technology, health and the environment, and some of their answers are
excerpted below. Their complete replies are online at
www.sciencedebate2008.com.

What is your position on government regulation and funding of stem cell
research?

McCain: While I support federal funding for embryonic stem cell research, I
believe clear lines should be drawn that reflect a refusal to sacrifice
moral values and ethical principles for the sake of scientific progress.
Moreover, I believe that recent scientific breakthroughs raise the hope that
one day this debate will be rendered academic.

I also support funding for other research programs, including amniotic fluid
and adult stem cell research, which hold much scientific promise and do not
involve the use of embryos.

Obama: As president, I will lift the current administration's ban on federal
funding of research on embryonic stem cell lines created after Aug. 9, 2001,
and I will ensure that all research on stem cells is conducted ethically and
with rigorous oversight.

. . . Hundreds of thousands of embryos stored in the U.S. in in vitro
fertilization clinics will not be used for reproductive purposes, and will
eventually be destroyed. I believe that it is ethical to use these extra
embryos for research that could save lives.

What steps, if any, should the United States take during your presidency to
protect ocean health?

McCain: Ocean health and policy requires better management focus; however,
we also need a better scientific understanding of the oceans. In no area is
this truer than in obtaining a better understanding of the interaction of
climate change and the oceans. . . . Ocean science and engineering is a
field that deserves greater attention and focus.

Obama: The oceans are a global resource and a global responsibility for
which the U.S. can and should take a more active role. I will work actively
to ensure that the U.S. ratifies the Law of the Sea Convention -- an
agreement supported by more than 150 countries that will protect our
economic and security interests while providing an important international
collaboration to protect the oceans and its resources.

How would you prioritize space in your administration?

McCain: Although the general view in the research community is that human
exploration is not an efficient way to increase scientific discoveries given
the expense and logistical limitations, the role of manned space flight goes
well beyond the issue of scientific discovery and is [a] reflection of
national power and pride.

. . . Current U.S. space operations policy commits the U.S. to completing
the International Space Station (ISS) by 2010 and then terminating the space
shuttle flights, with the completion of the ISS. I have called on the Bush
administration to suspend its decommissioning of the shuttle until the next
president is in office, and to retain the option of continuing shuttle
flights to the ISS in the interim period until the Ares/Orion vehicle is in
service.

Obama: Under my administration, NASA not only will inspire the world with
both human and robotic space exploration, but also will again lead in
confronting the challenges we face here on Earth, including global climate
change, energy independence, and aeronautics research.

. . . Between 1958 and 1973, the National Aeronautics and Space Council
oversaw the entire space arena for four presidents. I will re-establish this
Council reporting to the president. It will solicit public participation,
engage the international community, and work toward a 21st century vision of
space that constantly pushes the envelope on new technologies as it pursues
a balanced national portfolio that expands our reach into the heavens and
improves life here on Earth.

Many government scientists report political interference in their job. Is it
acceptable for elected officials to hold back or alter scientific reports if
they conflict with their own views, and how will you balance scientific
information with politics and personal beliefs in your decision-making?

McCain: We have invested huge amounts of public funds in scientific
research. The public deserves to have the results of that research. . . .
Denial of the facts will not solve any of these problems. Solutions can only
come about as a result of a complete understanding of the problem. I believe
policy should be based upon sound science.

I support having a science and technology advisor within the White House
staff and restoring the credibility and role of OSTP (Office of Science &
Technology Policy) as an office within the White House structure.

Obama: I will restore the basic principle that government decisions should
be based on the best-available, scientifically valid evidence and not on the
ideological predispositions of agency officials or political appointees.

Policies must be determined using a process that builds on the long
tradition of open debate that has characterized progress in science,
including review by individuals who might bring new information or
contrasting views. I have already established an impressive team of science
advisors, including several Nobel laureates, who are helping me to shape a
robust science agenda for my administration.

Rayilyn Brown
Director AZNPF