Scientists stress need to continue embryonic stem cell research
Todd Finkelmeyer  -  9/23/2008 6:15 am
When University of Wisconsin-Madison scientist James Thomson announced a
groundbreaking discovery in November of 2007 that ordinary adult skin cells
had been reprogrammed to resemble embryonic stem cells, some jumped to the
conclusion that the ethical debate surrounding this science could finally be
wiped away.
That day, however, is not yet here.

So with the Nov. 4 election just six weeks away, some of the world's most
prominent stem cell researchers made it a point Monday to reiterate what
they've been saying all along: Studies on stem cells from human embryos must
continue for at least several more years while the new technique is tested
and perfected.

"I personally believe that the future is in the (adult skin) cells," said
Thomson, speaking during a press conference at the Alliant Energy Center's
Exhibition Hall, which is hosting the World Stem Cell Summit through
Tuesday. "But the future is not here yet."

Fearful that stem cell critics are using recent advances in research to push
forward their agenda as the election nears, the International Society for
Stem Cell Research published an open letter urging politicians to "protect
the principles of scientific freedom."
The letter, signed by nearly 200 doctors and researchers, states: "As
scientists, we are concerned that efforts to favor one arm of stem cell
research at the expense of another are based on unsound interpretations of
scientific discoveries.

"Therefore, the ISSCR has joined with other leading scientists to issue an
open letter to reiterate the urgent need for support for all types of stem
cell research."
The letter was released in an attempt to blunt the claims of social
conservatives, many of whom have championed the skin cell findings as proof
that stem cell research involving the destruction of human embryos was no
longer needed.

"It's urgent that we all support all types of stem cell research," said Gov.
Jim Doyle, who also spoke Monday at the World Stem Cell Summit. "Let the
science take us where it will lead us. It's impossible to predict which
areas of research will lead to breakthrough therapies, which is why the
freedom of scientists to pursue all forms of stem cell research must be
protected. Banning lines of research for ideological or political reasons
will limit discoveries."

It's been 10 years since Thomson became the first scientist to coax stem
cells from human embryos. The discovery was significant because stem cells
are capable of transforming into cells from any tissue in the body.
Scientists say these so-called pluripotent cells hold the key to discovering
the causes and cures for many human ailments, including Alzheimer's disease,
Parkinson's disease, juvenile diabetes, blindness and spinal cord injuries.
But because embryos are destroyed in the process, stem cell research has
become a target of anti-abortion groups and socially conservative
politicians like President Bush, who support restrictions on such research.

After researchers in Thomson's lab announced they had produced stem cells
from human skin cells, many thought the days of stem cell research being
synonymous with controversy were over.

While that might someday be true, the world's top researchers say more study
of these skin cells -- known as iPS cells, or induced pluripotent stem
cells -- is needed to ensure they don't differ from embryonic stem cells in
unexpected ways.

That's why most researchers still believe embryonic stem cells remain the
"gold standard" for assessment of pluripotency -- or the ability to develop
into any cell of the body.

"It's a very exciting discovery, but we really don't know the long-term fate
of these iPS cells," said Tim Kamp, co-director of UW-Madison's Stem Cell
and Regenerative Medicine Center, which is co-sponsoring the World Stem Cell
Summit. "We have to compare the iPS cells to the gold standard, which is
embryonic stem cells.
"Think about it. It's been 10 years since we've had embryonic stem cells,
and we're still learning about them. So it's far premature, in my opinion,
to focus all our efforts on iPS cells."
Both Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., and Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., have
supported lifting President Bush's 2001 ban on using federal money to create
new stem cell lines from surplus embryos and to award more grants to
researchers studying them. Scientists say Bush's policy has stunted their
progress toward developing cures for some of the worst diseases.
In 2006 and 2007, McCain and Obama both voted for bills that would increase
federal funding for stem cell research -- including studies that involve
leftover embryos set for destruction at in vitro fertilization clinics. But
Bush vetoed those plans.

With McCain and Obama holding similar views on stem cell research, the topic
hasn't been a major issue during the presidential campaign.
However, the Republican Party adopted a platform at its national convention
earlier this month opposing even private funding for research on surplus
embryos, which is currently allowed. In addition, Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin,
McCain's running mate, has opposed the use of embryos in research.

"We have to keep every promising avenue of stem cell research open," said
Doyle. "There are some who are using the recent advancements in iPS cells to
advocate for restrictions on embryonic stem cell research. Those efforts are
really misguided, and any effort to favor one arm of stem cell research at
the expense of the other are based on unsound interpretations of the
scientific discoveries. It's an ultimate irony of using advances that
science has brought us to turn around and cut off other very promising areas
of scientific research."

Thomson said he is hopeful that McCain won't change his stance on the issue
of stem cells, but is somewhat concerned that the Republican could make a
promise to end embryonic stem cell research just to garner a bigger
percentage of the social conservative vote.

"The worst thing that could happen this election is that John McCain is
painted into a corner with a 'read my lips' promise," said Thomson. "This is
too important of an issue."
Doyle, a Democrat, didn't mince words: "There may be questions about one
candidate, but I don't think there is any question on Senator Obama's
position on this."
Poll says citizens back stem cell research: A poll released Monday by
Milwaukee Public Radio shows support for stem cell research in southeastern
Wisconsin.
The poll found that, by a 59 percent to 33 percent margin, the public in
that area of the state thinks conducting stem cell research is more
important than not using embryos in research.
The survey also showed that more than 93 percent of respondents agreed that
stem cell therapy has great potential to treat many common diseases like
cancer, Parkinson's disease and spinal cord injuries in innovative ways.
In addition, almost 65 percent support lifting restrictions on stem cell
research, and 62 percent support investing state dollars in stem cell
research.
For more information on the poll, which was conducted with the help of the
UW-Milwaukee Center for Urban Initiative and Research, visit the Web site.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Todd Finkelmeyer/The Capital Times
University of Wisconsin-Madison scientist James Thomson said the future of
induced pluripotent stem cells replacing embryonic stem cells is not here
yet.
Bernard Siegel brings worldwide summit to Madison to advance stem cell
research
Paralyzed racer says politics shouldn't slow stem cell research
Stem cell backers question where McCain stands

Rayilyn Brown
Director AZNPF