thank you

========Original  Message========     Subj: Chocolate and Eldepryl  Date:
9/22/2008 2:00:26 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time  From: [log in to unmask]
(mailto:[log in to unmask])   To: [log in to unmask]
(mailto:[log in to unmask])   Sent on:
I don't know what article the List member was  referring to with request that
I repost an article on chocolate and eldepryl  but this one says avoid
chocolate if you take  eldepryl.
Ray

Drug Infonet provides drug and disease information  for your healthcare
needs. Visit our FAQ page to find answers to common  health questions. Look
on the Manufacturer Info page to link to  pharmaceutical company pages. Click
to Health Info and Health News for the  latest in healthcare developments.
Drug Infonet brings this free resource to  you so that you become a more
informed consumer of  healthcare.

Doctors' Answers to "Frequently Asked Questions" -  Eldepryl

These comments are made for the purpose of discussion and  should NOT be used
as recommendations for or against therapies or other  treatments. An
individual patient is always advised to consult their own  physician.
Eldepryl
Question: Is it possible to stop or reverse the MAO  blockers and add
additional neuro-transmitter action to reinstate memory  capabilities?
Answer: Mao blockers will generally be "out" of ones system by  24-48 hours.
This is the recommended time prior to surgery. In general, we  use about one
week in non-emergent situations to be absolutely sure of no  generalized
reactions. Consequently, after one stops a Mao inhibitor, most  of the
expected reactions will be gone in several days. I know ot no patches  for
delivery of eldepryl.
Eldepryl
Question: Could you please send me  any information you have on Eldepryl and
the foods to avoid while on this  medication. My mother has Parkinson's
Disease and keeps getting conflicting  opinions on what foods to eat and what
foods to avoid.
Answer:  Eldepryl(selegilene hydrochloride) is a relatively new drug in the
treatment  of Parkinson's Disease. Eldepryl is an MAO inhibitor initially
used in  depression that has been found to be effective in treating
Parkinson's. The  mode of action is not completely understood, but seems to
increase dopamine  in the brain through its monoamine oxidase effect. MAO
inhibitors can be  potentiated by several types of food. Any food containing
tyramine will  cause problems. These include chicken liver, pickled herring,
any  cheese-aged are the most potent, yogurt, sour cream, beer, wine, canned
figs, bananas, advocados, soy sauce, raisins, chocolate, many decongestants
and weight loss agents, canned figs and broad beans(Fava,etc.). Ingestion of
these substances can cause severe blood pressure excursions, rapid heart
beats, and other side effects.
Eldepryl
Question: I have a female  neighbor, about 50. She does NOT suffer from
Parkinsonism. A family friend  provided her with a fairly substantial sample
of Eldepryl. She reports with  great enthusiasm that Eldepryl has been very
helpful in relieving her  symptoms of mild depression and anxiety. Although
Eldepryl apparently has an  MAO inhibitor function, reported side effects
strongly suggest it would be  conraindicated for bipolar symptoms. Are there
clinical trials in progress  on the use of Eldepryl as an antidepressant?
Answer: While Eldepryl does have  an MAO type effect, the studies done in
Parkinson's patients indicate that  in the doses approved for Parkinson's
Disease that it does not approach  levels in the serum which are required to
treat depression. I know of no  ongoing trials concerning using this drug as
an antidepressant. I would  contact the company, Somerset Pharmaceuticals,
Inc. for further  information.
Eldepry Before Surgery
Question: how long befor surgery  should I stop taking eldepryl if
Demerol(meperidine) is to be used as a  painkiller?
Answer: Eldepryl(selegiline hydrochloride) is a drug primarily  used to treat
Parkinson's Disease. It is a monoamine oxidase-Type B  inhibitor. As such,
certain drugs are a problem or a potential problem.  These include serotonin
reuptake inhibitor antidepressants, tricyclic  antidepressants, and Demerol
(meperidine). The manufacturer recommends a 14  day period between stopping
Eldepryl and these drugs. Whether other opiates  such as morphine cause this
problem is less clear;however, most physicians  assume that the interaction
is possible.

© 1996-2005 DRUG INFONET,  Inc. All rights reserved.

Rayilyn Brown
Director AZNPF
Arizona  Chapter National Parkinson Foundation

To  sign-off Parkinsn send a message to: mailto:[log in to unmask]
In  the body of the message put: signoff parkinsn