From: "Susan Kline" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tuesday, October 14, 2008 7:36 AM
Subject: Re: Joan's Schuller letter re PD cure

Dear Listserv Members,  Starting this past Sunday while I was out all day at
an event for Parkinson's, I began getting calls of excitement about Dr.
Schuller's announcement.  I got the calls from people not prone to getting
overly convinced at first announcements of the many claims that can be out
there.  So first thing yesterday, after more calls coming my way, I called
the Crystal Cathedral and identified myself. The person answering the phone
apparently had been getting calls...well, you can imagine!  She said Dr.
Schuller issued a statement that there was no more information yet.  I
jumped on the word "yet"...and then she said that the program was a
rebroadcast of a previously pre-recorded program.  She could not give me the
date of the original broadcast...but this is somehow ringing a bell with me
that this was not very recent.   To have to report this cruel, cruel follow
up news to those I care about...and especially to have to cradle in my arms
my disappointed PWP loved one who heard the Dr. Schuller cliff hanging
statement on television....has prompted me to also write a letter to the
senior Dr. Schuller.  He was completely out of line in the first place to
make such a reckless statement without considering the consequences and
impact this would have on a most brave group of people suffering from PD and
who cling to any bit of realistic hope.  But then, to not have anyone
monitor and edit previous broadcasts is completely unacceptable.  Leaders
who have won the confidence of those listening to them have the moral
obligation to consider the hearts and hope of those people who trust them.
Reckless carrot dangling without any disclaimer was quite damaging,
regardless of best intentions,  and, therefore,  I support Joan's comments.
I urge others to contact Dr. Schuller as I will.  The Parkinson's Community
deserves an explanation and a most humble apology. Still believing in
verifiable research and realistic hope for victory,Susan KlineExecutive
DirectorThe Hazel Hutchman Memorial Neuroscience CenterReseda, California