I'm also 52 with PD.  Two years ago I was cut from the company I  worked for
as a Quality Engineer, due to corporate cut backs.  I  was with the company
for eight years.  They said that they eliminated my  position for financial
reasons, but they had to hire someone to fill my position  within one month after
I left the company.  I know that the main reason I  was let go was, that my
boss was uncomfortable being around me.  His father  passed away with
parkinsons.  For months he would ask if I ever thought of  trying to get disability.
during the exit meeting with the plant manager,  HR, and Quality manager I asked
if the main reason they laid me off was because  I had PD?  They all denied
that they knew that I had PD.  They lied,  they knew that I had PD for years.

Well any way, I interviewed with a company and they were impressed with my
resume but were reluctant to hire me because they were not sure that I would be
 physically able to perform the job requirements.  I convinced them that I
was the person that they needed.  I made a deal to contract my services to
this company on a temporary basis, and if they liked my performance they could
hire me direct within six months to a year,  I have just been hired in as a
Program Manager after working as my own contractor for 19 months.

Sometimes you have to prove yourself to a prospective employer when you  have
PD. When job hunting you have to sell yourself extra  hard.  I sent my resume
to several companies and there were several I  interviewed with that did not
ask me in for a second interview. I learned from  each interview and sold my
self harder.  I know it is depressing when you  get rejected at each interview,
I've been there.  I have learned that you  need to make the best with the
hand that you have been dealt.  PD is  going to be with you for the rest of your
life.

With the job market in the dumper the way it is now, it is even harder  to
compete for jobs.  They are not as plentiful as they used to  be.  One thing I
found is, you need to keep  your sense of humor or  you will go nuts. Good luck
in your job search Amanda.  One thing you  might want to try is don't mention
that you have PD over the phone to  the employment agent wait until the
interview.

Hang in there, good things come to those who  wait.

Keith

In a message dated 10/3/2008 2:02:40 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,