My name is Rick McGirr.  I'm a musician from Buffalo, NY.  I was a
subscriber to this listserv some time ago, I don't know, maybe 5 or 6 years
ago.  At that time, I was in my late 40's, and in the earliest stages of PD.
I sure didn't know how good I had it then, how easy things were.  As the
song goes, "Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then."  I joined up
again because I'm in need of practical info and would like to learn from
other members' experiences.

I've been on Sinemet, Requip, and Selegiline since forever.  This past year,
a real tough year for me personally, I've gone through a bunch of changes,
in my meds as well as in life.  I'm still working as a musician, but it
takes about all the energy I can muster to get through gigs.  Those of you
who have/had 'real' jobs have my sympathy.  My job is relatively easy,
compared to people who work 40 hr weeks.  I probably spend 20 hrs a week at
playing music for people, but I have other irons in the fire.  Rental
properties, piano students, the house, the wife the kids the cars etc, are
my responsibility as well.  Well, lately I have been assaulted by some
pretty fierce depression and physical weakness, and an increase in my
symptoms.  I'm just not handling everything I should be handling, and things
are building up in my "to do list".

My last visit to the neurologist was just this past Monday.  At that time, I
told doc that I wasn't yet having any "off" times in between doses.  (I was
taking Sinemet CR 50/200, one and a half pills, and Requip 3mg, both three
times daily.)  I also told doc that the level of meds wasn't getting to the
symptoms as well as in the past.  I thought it was curious, then, that he
would want to switch me to Stalevo, which is supposed to deliver more C/L
per dose, but with a possible low time inbetween doses.  I don't know about
that, but I can tell you that I am not having a good time on this new stuff.
It isn't even reaching the tremor, etc, as well as the stuff I was on
previously.

Just now I got a call back from my neuro doc's secretary, and doc wants me
to go back to Sinemet CR with a low dose of Stalevo.  Does this make as much
sense as using Comtan?  With Stalevo, wouldn't I be piling C/L on top of
C/L?  Naturally, doc didn't have time to call me back himself.  Questions?
What could I possibly need to know???

I'm kind of confused as to this combination.  Do any of you folks have
similar tales?  What would you suggest, and what would you expect from your
neuro people?

Looking forward to sharing with you.  Thanks for being here, listserv.

Enjoy!

Rick McGirr