Joan Snyder works for People with Disabilities

Professor, others use wheelchairs for a day
Wheelchairs used as part of People with Disabilities Awareness Day

By JEWELS PHRANER
of the Journal Star
Posted Oct 30, 2008 @ 12:03 AM
PEORIA -
Billy Cook, a chemistry professor at Illinois Central College, wheeled into
a small room on the top story of CityLink's Downtown offices like a natural.
But for him, using a wheelchair for most of Wednesday was a choice he made
as part of People with Disabilities Awareness Day.
Peorian Joan Blessington Snyder wasn't as lucky to choose being a
wheelchair-user. For her, it was a necessity.
"When it's a choice, it's simple," she said. "But when it's necessary, it
hits you right in the face and smacks you down."
Snyder has been diagnosed with Parkinson's disease for the last 18 1/2 years
and works with Central Illinois Advocates of Lives Interrupted by
Parkinson's Support Organization and the Mayor's Advisory Council for the
Disabled.
She organized the opportunity for three people, including Cook, to spend the
day in a wheelchair.
"It was really eye-opening," Julie Spears said.
Spears works for Brewer Distributing Company, owned by At-large City
Councilman George Jacob. Jacob had signed up to participate in the
wheelchair-using day, but got called out of town, so Spears and her
co-worker Emily Hampton took his place.
Hampton said, though her workplace is handicapped accessible, it was still
difficult to get around.
"Those doors might be lighter, but it was still difficult to get them open
and closed," she said.
Cook said ICC is handicapped accessible for students but not for faculty.
"The blackboards, the podiums, they're all made for people on their feet,"
he said, adding writing on the board was frustrating for both he and his
students. "I had to get up to teach my lab class. There was just no way I
could have done my lab class without standing up."
Nearly 20 different agencies sent representatives to CityLink to give
presentations about living with disabilities or community services offered
to the disabled.
"Some people don't have the awareness or don't really have patience when
waiting for someone in a wheelchair to get secured onto a bus or something
like that," CityLink Director of Special Services John Williams said. "We
want to try to get the community to have more awareness of individuals
living with disabilities."
Agencies such as the Peoria County Health Department, the Agency on Aging
and Bradley University's stem-cell research department spoke about what they
offer to the Peoria community.
Vanessa League, a puppy raiser for Canine Companions, brought service dogs
in training Yogi and Tessie to the event to show people how service dogs can
contribute to people living with disabilities.

Jewels Phraner can be reached at 686-3196 or [log in to unmask]

Rayilyn Brown
Director AZNPF