I think Theresa has described the major components that you would need
to account for in any layout:
reception area, reference area, tutoring spaces/tables, office for the
director.

I'd reinforce the importance of a water cooler/kettle  area for tutors
to get a cup of tea between sessions; if budgets allow, it would be
nice to extend this to the students who come by for tutoring. This
only needs to be about 3 feet along a wall somewhere.

I'd also like to emphasize the attention to making the space inviting--
Theresa's done it with plants and couches; we added some posters as
well. We also added a couch for students who arrive early or are
hoping for a drop-in session to open up. So you'll want to account for
the ambience of the space in your layout designs--perhaps by
requesting glass walls on the front wall to allow light to pass into
the interior.

One thing to consider--a small cubicle/office for online tutoring
sessions. When we have had 7 sessions going on at once in our space
the noise was quite pronounced, but even a couple of sessions make it
hard for a tutor working online with a client to screen out background
noise.

Roger Graves
Director, WAC and Acting Director, Centre for Writers
http://www.ualberta.ca/~graves1/index.html